The team at Ashford Apartments in Carrollton, Texas finds it important that our residents lead healthy, well-informed lives. By presenting new ideas in our resident blog, we make it easy to stay up to date with the latest information on health, wellness, finances, and more.
If you’re looking to get your finances in tip-top shape, start with your monthly bills. Although most of us dislike this aspect of adulthood, bills need to be paid in full and on time despite our feelings. While paying bills can be stressful, there are ways to lower certain bills, and one is your electricity! Check out our tips below for saving on your power bill, especially since you’re now working remotely or just find yourself at home more often.
1. Replace air filters regularly. Dirty air filters make your HVAC system work harder to circulate air, which increases your electric bill. Filters with higher MERV ratings help filter the air better.
2. Monitor water heater temperatures. If your apartment has its own water heater, consider turning the temperature down while everyone is away so that it’s not heating unneeded water.
3. Be laundry smart. Use your washer, dryer, and water heater less by washing larger loads at a time. Use even less energy by washing in cold water, if possible.
4. Be energy efficient with your lighting. Compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) are a little pricier upfront but have a longer lifespan and use less energy.
5. Smart power strips. Prevent electronics from wasting electricity when you’re not using them by turning them completely off when they go into standby mode.
6. Switch both lights and ceiling fans off. Yep, every time you leave the room.
7. Adjust your thermostat. Don’t waste your energy dollars cooling or heating an empty apartment. Give your HVAC system a break by adjusting your thermostat to 80 degrees in the summer and 62 degrees in the winter when you leave for the day.
8. Be kitchen smart. Use the microwave for cooking rather than the stove. Use the oven at night so your A/C won’t work as hard during the day. Turn off the heat-dry setting on your dishwasher.